We Disciples do not have an official doctrinal statement we can refer to when someone asks,”What does the Christian Church believe?” However we do have some characteristics and beliefs that Disciples churches hold. They are as follows:
- Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the living God.
- Sin separates us from God and from one another.
- Jesus Christ enables us to overcome sin.
- In the power of the Holy Sprit.
- The Bible speaks God’s truth.
- God’s people are called to live together in a community of faith called the church. The church is not a place, but people.
- In baptism by immersion at an age of understanding. However, we recognize the other forms of baptism as valid.
- The Lord’s Supper is the central experience of worship.
- In freedom and diversity in Christian thought and interpretation.
- That which unites Christians (Jesus Christ) should be greater than that which divides them.