The beginning of the Christian Movement in America began in the early 1800‘s as a faith based action of a small group of people who came to this country seeking the right to worship as they desired. Some of the influential persons of this Christian movement were Thomas Campbell, Alexander Campbell, Walter Scott and Barton Stone. The first meeting of this group was at Cane Ridge, Kentucky with a tree stump as a pulpit. People came from many miles by foot, by horse, by wagon, and by other means. This movement is often called the Christian Restoration. As a result of these determined people, our denomination – Disciples of Christ – was founded. The intention of this group of early believers was that all who believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the Living God, and their Savior, were to receive the sacraments of salvation – communion with the Lord. Although Bible knowledge, status and belief were important factors, one’s heart and soul were the most important criteria.
The history of First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), Wilmington, NC, reflects the vision of the early leaders of Disciples of Christ – a congregation that is faith based and includes the surrounding community. This vision remains today. First Christian Church Wilmington is a relatively small church but one that has made an impact with its supportive programs in the community.
In the first decade of the twentieth century when First Christian Church of Wilmington was established, events were moving the city well beyond its past. Economic recovery from the depression of the 1890s was well underway and Wilmington, the state’s largest city and the most important port, experienced a population boom created by the demands of industry.
In the early twentieth century, Wilmington was a thriving commercial and industrial center, port city, and railroad headquarters with a growing population of workers who were entering the nation’s huge middle class. One of the first dreams for the evolving middle-class was a home in the suburbs. The extension of the city’s trolley lines to these neighborhoods ensured its success by giving residents easy access to the workplace, the commercial district, entertainment, schools, and churches.
FIRST CHRISTIAN CHURCH WILMINGTON TIMELINE:
- 1906 – The Dunn Commission (a Disciples of Christ organization responsible for new church growth) had a vision of expanding the Christian Church of North Carolina to Wilmington.
- 1907 – The first worship service was held on March 31st at the tabernacle on 4th Street, between Princess and Chestnut Streets, with 35 charter members.
- 1907 – The church moved to another tabernacle on the southeast corner of Seventh and Orange Streets.
- 1908 – The church purchased an old firehouse on Dock Street, between Third and Fourth Streets, and remodeled it. It was dedicated on August 30th.
- 1927 – The church was destroyed by fire on January 9, 1927. The property was sold.
- 1927 – The church relocated to the YMCA on the northeast corner of Third and Market Streets. Property was purchased at Third and Ann Streets, but the church remained at the YMCA for ten years while funds were collected to build a new church.
- 1937 – The church purchased a house at 309 Ann Street and the first service was held there on May 27th with 179 members.
- 1942 – The house at 309 Ann Street was sold as the new church at 3rd and Ann Streets neared completion.
- 1943 – The church at Third and Ann Streets was dedicated on May 16th.
- 1957 – First Christian Church (FCC) celebrated its 50th anniversary in March. The membership was such a strong and growing one that conversations began about looking for land in the fast growing suburbs for a new, larger church.
- 1957 – The land for the present location was purchased. Membership had grown to approximately 500. Funds were raised for the new church on Oleander Drive via bazaars, weekly supper, etc.
- 1961 – Construction plans began for a new sanctuary at Mimosa and Oleander.
- 1962 – A ground breaking ceremony was held on June 24th. N. Boney was hired as the architect.
- 1963 – The new church was dedicated on April 21th. The congregation was so eager to move into the new facility that plastic was hung to cover the area where the sanctuary’s large stained glassed window was to be installed. No complaints were heard about the wind whipping around the edges of the plastic.
- 1971 – Ground breaking for the educational/administrative wing was held on April 25th.
- 1972 – The educational/administrative wing was dedicated on April 30th.
- 1972 – The United Cerebral Palsy moved to FCC in the fall and would remain for more than 20 years.
- 1972 – FCC becomes a part of the United College Campus Ministry at UNC-W. It would later include the Cape Fear Technical Institute (now CFCC).
- 1995- The educational/administrative wing was damaged by fire in August. This was a startling event for the membership. All rallied together to move on.
- 1995 – Offices were re-opened in the educational/administrative wing in December,
- 1995- Christian Youth Fellowship (CYF) teens and adults from the church participate in the first of many Appalachian Service Project (ASP) mission trips to make homes drier, safer and warmer in poor counties of Appalachia. The first trip was to Lee County, Virginia in July1995.
- 1996 – FCC volunteered to be a host church for the Wilmington Interfaith Hospitality Network (WIHN), a ministry that provides temporary housing and services to homeless families. FCC continues to participate in WIHN as a host church with support from St. John’s Episcopal and Harbor United Methodist churches.
- 1996 – Sun Coast Christian Church in Myrtle Beach was sponsored by FCC and had its first worship service in September.
- 1997 – An early worship service was added on May 25th.
- 1997 – The Grand Piano in the sanctuary was purchased and restored. The congregation rallied together to purchase, restore and pay for this piano.
- 2003 – An organ for the sanctuary and a new outdoor sign were dedicated.
- 2004 – Plans to renovate the sanctuary began and John Sawyer was hired as the architect.
- 2005 – Renovations on the sanctuary began In September. The sanctuary was expanded and made handicap assessable, as were the bathrooms.
- 2006 – The first worship service in the renovated sanctuary was held in March.
- 2006 – A group from FCC went to Gulfport, Mississippi to assist with rebuilding after Hurricane Katrina.
- 2006 – A new sound system was dedicated in September.
- 2007 – New stained glass windows in the sanctuary were dedicated in April.
- 2007 – Mission teams from FCC travelled to Gulfport, Mississippi for Katrina assistance, to Virginia for ASP, and to San Salvador to help the community of Puente de Azul. Mission continues to be an important part of FCC.
- 2011 – FCC began a ministry for individual spiritual growth. Retired minister Russell Smith and his wife, Carlotta, both trained Spiritual Directors, aided in this by being available to talk with members about discerning his/her spiritual journey. They continue in this role at FCC.
- 2012- The Hope Partnership, a Disciples of Christ program designed to “empower courageous leaders as they guide the church into life-giving expressions of ministry for this new era of God’s mission”, was formed.
- 2012 – The senior Minister went on sabbatical. The congregation designed its own sabbatical program including a church retreat at Oak Island, conversations with a Spiritual Director and Mission Day programs with activities involving all ages.
- 2012 – The Associate Minister accepts the call as the senior minister at a Disciples church in Arizona.
- 2013 – Dr. Bill De Leo, a licensed counselor, offered free counseling services by appointment on Thursdays. This continues today.
- 2013 – The Hope Team held a mini retreat for church members in April at the church, followed by another retreat in October at Oak Island with Rick Morse as guest speaker. The retreat was a great success and there will be another held in 2014.